[arch-general] Small laptops running archy?

Nicolas Bigaouette nbigaouette at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:37:05 EDT 2009

I have an EeePC 1000 and it works fine with Arch. It's running KDE 4.2
without problem. You'll always need to tweak those small machines since they
are not that powerful. For example you might want a lighter DE then KDE,
like XFCE or LXDE.
Are you talking about darcs, the distributed revision control system? If so
I don't know. I am using subversion and git though. Its quite independant of
the machine...
You can avoid anybody you want, but I would suggest you stay away from Kim
Jong-il... :D

I think any netbooks, coming with XP or Linux, will have good linux support.
Mine came with a derivation of Xandros, which I wiped and installed Arch. I
do have some rants about my Eee 1000 though. The wireless card (rt2860) has
a driver, but its quality is mediocre. I've replaced it with an intel 4965
which is better IMO. The BIOS upgrades are not "stable" too: BIOS upgrades
changes the behaviour of the machine.For example, with the original
firmware, some keys generated different acpi events depending on the actual
state of the machine (wifi on and off for example). After an upgrade, it
went to a single event, and now its back to many events, but only for some
keys. Its a pain.

I cant say for other types, but I'm still satisfied with my 1000 :)