[arch-general] network WTF

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Apr 14 22:07:03 EDT 2009

Got a bit of network weirdness going on here.  2 different Arch laptops,
an old one and a new one, with completely different hardware (and also
i686 vs. x86_64), but both are completely up to date with the latest
repos.  On the old (i686) one, "iwlist scan" works fine from the command
line, as a non-root user.  On the new one, no dice - I need to be root
to get back results.

What makes this even more annoying is that apparently some of the
wireless tools I'm using suffer from this restriction as well.  So on
the old laptop, kwifimanager and knemo show accurate info about the
current connection (bit rate, link quality, etc.) while on the new
laptop these come up empty.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this and/or how to work around it?
Surely I don't need to run kwifimanager and knemo as root to do it.

I'm guessing there's some obscure setting that's different between the 2
machines that's controlling this, but I have no clue what it could be.

TIA,

DR