[arch-general] Understanding permissions

slubman lists at slubman.info
Thu Apr 16 16:47:15 EDT 2009

On 16 avr. 09, at 22:21, ludovic coues wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that +x is not set for everybody in home.
> Just cause you don't want that anybody can see what folder you have.
> If you want have have a pokemon subfolder of anime, nobody else need
> to now this. So, for me, +x have not to be set.

With the +x right on a folder you only give the right to pass through
this directory, not to see the content of this directory

$ mkdir foo
$ touch foo/test1
$ touch foo/test2

$ ls foo
test1  test2

$ chmod a-r foo

$ ls foo
ls: cannot open directory foo: Permission denied

$ echo "Hello" > foo/test1
$ cat foo/test1
Hello

--