[arch-general] thinkpad t61 and not able to adjust brightness

Adam Stokes adam.stokes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:47:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Sergey Manucharian <sergeym at rmico.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I'm using brightness control buttons every day with my ThinkPad
> R61. Both
>
>  echo '100' >/proc/acpi/video/VID/LCD0/brightness
>  echo 15 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
>
> work for me.
> "xev" shows the following:
>
>  keycode 233 (keysym 0x1008ff02, XF86MonBrightnessUp)
>  keycode 232 (keysym 0x1008ff03, XF86MonBrightnessDown)
>
> I've updated the system yesterday, but brightness control works fine
> for long time. I used to use custom scripts
> launched from /etc/acpi/handler.sh long time ago since the the regular
> buttons did not work properly.
>
> You may want to add:
>
>  keycode 233 = XF86MonBrightnessUp
>  keycode 232 = XF86MonBrightnessDown
>
> to your ~/.Xmodmap file (though I haven't, but check with "xev")
>
> Cheers,
> Sergey

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the information, I did add those keycodes to my .Xmodmap
with no change unfortunately. I also installed the acpi/acpid packages
but I haven't actually rebooted yet since it seems that acpid will not
run due to some devices being in use at the moment.

If there are anymore ideas I would like to hear them.

Thanks!

--
( adam stokes ) || ( adam.stokes at gmail.com )