[arch-general] unable to associate wlan0 during network start

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Fri Apr 17 13:47:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:22:31 -0400
Adam Stokes <adam.stokes at gmail.com> wrote:

> /etc/rc.d/network start fails with
> Could not associate wlan0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check
> network is WEP or has no security.
>
> However, running dhcpcd wlan0 when system is up works. I dont use wep
> but have wireless mac filters setup on the router and I've increased
> the WIRELESS_TIMEOUT in /etc/conf.d/wireless. Has anyone run into this
> recently?
>
> specs:
> 2.6.29-ARCH, x86_64
> using iwl3495 driver, intel pro/wireless 3945abg
>
> Thanks

I would suggest using "netcfg" (/etc/rc.d/net-profiles). I found it
much more suitable and flexible for wireless networks. It works fine
for me for long time with and without wep/wpa.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

"wifi-select" package can be useful as well, it actually can use the
profiles created for "netcfg".

Cheers,
Sergey