[arch-general] Access to 3g wireless network

richard terry rterry at pacific.net.au
Sun Apr 19 19:44:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:26:25 am Maurí­cio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here in Brazil (as probably in everywhere
> else) a few cell phone companies are offering
> wireless internet access through a USB modem.
> They say data is exchanged through 3G communication
> standard.
>
> How does that work on Linux? What should I have
> in archy to be able to work with such hardware
> and network, or where can I find about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Maurício

In AU I've got a huawei   e169  which works ok, though I will admit I had some
trouble configuring it (see below) and the WIKI contains info on the e220
which is sort-of-applicable.

So that's all I can help you with, if you figure it out all properly let me
know. I've spent mega-hours on the forums looking for good solutions to the
comments below:

The problem I have is that I'm not that knowledable computer wise and I run my
laptop on dhcp during the daytime at work and then as  I don't know what I'm
really doing I have to manually change the config files at home and the
resolv.conf which is a pain.

I've tried following the wiki entries re net-profiles etc to no avail.

So I'll add my voice to yours and request that anyone who does understand this
write a better wiki article on how to combine usb-key broadband + wired
broadband automatically.

Regards

Richard