[arch-general] howto install kde 3.510?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 21 05:04:20 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	Last question for the night, "How do I install KDE3?" I have picked around
through the forums, found http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE, which sent
me to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=54118&p=1 and I added the repo,
but it appears to be a downgrade repo and pacman -S kde3 fails with a
dependency for akode:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kde3-kdemultimedia: requires akode

	Can anyone else point me to a good reference that will help me install kde
3.5.10 as a 'fresh' install of KDE?

	Don't get me wrong, I'm not a kde4 basher and I look forward to it maturing. I
have used kde4 on openSuSE 11.0 and 11.1 (returning to 3.5). However, until the
kate and quanta issues are resolved, I need kde 3.5 to avoid a loss of
functionality in the interim. After those items are resolved, I'll happily move
back to kde4 and continue playing the "where did my widget go?" game;-)

An Aside:

	Note, as most know, ATI completely dropped support for all RV300 - RV500
chipsets as of the botched 9.3 driver release. See:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_94_linux.pdf
for the 9.4 driver released 4/17 (all support for earlier cards has been dropped)

	Unfortunately, the botched 9.3 driver and previous drivers are all that will
be available for the earlier cards ;-( AMD claims that it will still support
the following legacy cards (whatever those weasel words mean):

The following products have been moved to the legacy software support structure
(including Mobile and All-in-Wonder Variants):

ATI Radeon 9500 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
ATI Radeon X550 Series
ATI Radeon X600 Series
ATI Radeon X700 Series
ATI Radeon X800 Series
ATI Radeon X850 Series
ATI Radeon X1050 Series
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
ATI Radeon X1550 Series
ATI Radeon X1600 Series
ATI Radeon X1650 Series
ATI Radeon X1800 Series
ATI Radeon X1900 Series
ATI Radeon Xpress Series
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
ATI Radeon X1250 Series
ATI Radeon X2100 Series

	Anything older has been relegated to history. Fortunately for those running
Xorg 7.3 or earlier, the 8-9 driver still works flawlessly for older cards,
unfortunately for kde4 migration, it is incompatible with xorg 7.4.

	So, how do I get kde 3.5.10 installed on arch?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC