[arch-general] howto install kde 3.510?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:31:05 EDT 2009

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 21. April 2009 11:04:20 schrieb David C. Rankin:
>> However, until the
>> kate and quanta issues are resolved, I need kde 3.5 to avoid a loss of
>> functionality in the interim. After those items are resolved, I'll happily
>> move back to kde4 and continue playing the "where did my widget go?"
>> game;-)
>
> Which problems are there with kate? Is there a bug report about it? Kate
> behaves a little different in KDE4 but it can be configured to be like the old
> one if that was your problem.
>
> There is no quanta for KDE4 so you'll have to use the KDE3 one anyway:
>
> If you still want to use KDE3 there is a step by step description at
> http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/download-kdemod3.html In that case make sure not to
> mix KDE4 and KDE3; so never install kdelibs and related.
>
> PS: You'll have to use the open source drivers for you ATI card as AMD has
> dropped support for the older ones.
>
> Pierre

Pierre,

	Thank you, I'll give the modular approach a try.

	As for the ATI driver, unfortunately I have been eyeball deep in that driver
since the release of suse 10.3 in Oct. '07. In the past (distant past) AMD/ATI
would assign a technical contact to assist with some of our bug reports against
the driver at bugzilla.novell, but for some reason, all help from ATI
evaporated in late '08.

	Is there nothing close for Archlinux (from an ATI driver package installer)
standpoint that I could decompress, modify and then compile against? There
seems to be a slackware offering, does that have any chance?

09:24 alchemy:~/linux/ati-compiz> sh ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
--listpkg
Created directory fglrx-install.zm4lTa
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.593...
<snip>
Package Maintainer(s): Emanuele Tomasi <tomasi at cli.di.unipi.it>
                      Ezio Ghibaudo <ekxius at gmail.com>
                      Federico Rota <federico.rota01 at gmail.com>