[arch-general] vi went Orange on me?? Never seen it before -- what is it?

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:35:33 EDT 2009

Erk,

I'm always a bit iffy on editing system-wide configurations. If the
package is updated, pacman won't update the edited configuration file
(and start spawing .pacnew files), right? I also just don't like
keeping configurations outside of home if at all possible.

Does the current Arch VI respect .virc in your home dir? If so, put
"set nohlsearch" in your .virc file instead. That just turns it off
regardless of whether the system-wide one turns it on or not.

Also, I would like to kindly suggest that you consider using full VIM
instead of VI. It has a lot more features and is often much nicer to
work with.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know and don't need to hear again :)

Cheers,

-Andrei Thorp