[arch-general] Best way to clone install (package selection to another box?)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:57:22 EDT 2009

Juan Diego wrote:
box1:

pacman -Qet | awk '{print $1}' >> INSTALLED

box 2:

(first copy files from /var/cache/pacman/pkg in box1 to box2 and also
INSTALLED file)
pacman -S $(cat installed)

Pierre Schmitz wrote:

or just
pacman -Qqet > INSTALLED

Daniel J Griffiths wrote:
> If you're looking for something simple, I have a script in the AUR
> called Packup that allows you to backup and restore installed packages.

Juan, Pierre & Daniel,

	That is the next best thing since sliced bread. Thank you all. Beats having to
roll-your-own any day. Looking at:

	usage:  pacman {-Q --query} [options] [package]
	  -e, --explicit       list all packages explicitly installed
	  -q, --quiet          show less information for query and search
	  -t, --unrequired     list all packages not required by any package

it makes sense now, but I wouldn't have put those pieces together without
help;-) But, I got close! (even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a
while):

for i in $(find /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ -type f); do
	TMP=${i##*/}
	FILE=${TMP%%-[[:digit:]]*}
	echo $FILE >> ~/linux/INSTALLED
done

	creates the equivalent of "pacman -Qqet > INSTALLED" (although not in one
swipe), and "pacman --sync $( < ~/linux/INSTALLED)" would have gotten the rest.
The big missing piece of the puzzle was rsyncing the files from box1 -> box2
instead of requiring a complete re-download of the files. I like it! Thanks again!

	The info has been duly saved to my basket notepads archive and will be handy
as soon as I get my little kde problem sorted. (PS, I found /etc/rc.d/kdm3, so
I'm getting warmer)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC