[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 07:49:43 EDT 2009

startx is really just a small wrapper around the X command. (It's a
250 line shell script at /usr/bin/startx)

What it mostly does is invoke "X" with a few arguments, one of  which
is your .xinitrc file, which is also a shell script. If you're not
familiar with this file, what it is is a list of programs which should
be started (it's literally just a shell script). Mostly what you'd
want to do is background a bunch of programs like:

pidgin &
terminal &

And then at the end have one main program that runs:

metacity # or whatever you use -- possibly kdm3 will work here.

Then literally those programs will start. You can do more complex
constructs since shell supports if/for/while, etc.

Anyway, good luck.

-AT