[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 22 15:13:56 EDT 2009

Daenyth Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:28, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
>> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>>        I have found /etc/rc.d/kdm3, and I am searching for where it gets
>>> called by
>>> startx -- any hints? Also, I'll try downgrading the nvidia driver, in the
>>> mean
>>> time.
>>
>> No need to call startx.  Just add kdm3 to the DAEMONS line in your rc.conf.
>>  That will start X and KDM.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> DR
>>

> Adding your DM to DAEMONS is really unclean and generally inferior.
> Add it to inittab instead.

lol!

One of the things I like about Arch is that it uses rc.conf - one,
single, central, easy-to-understand config file that controls much of
the workings of my system.  It controls everything from the modules you
load, to your network config, to all the things you want to load at
system startup.

X and KDM are things I want to load at startup, therefore rc.conf would
seem to be the perfect place to put that on an Arch box.  Seems nice and
clean to me.  Matter of fact, having to go muck about in inittab seems
pretty UNclean.  (In fact, I don't think I've ever had to edit inittab
once on the 5 or 6 Arch boxes I've had over the years.)

Just wondering:  any particular source of information that you're basing
your "unclean and generally inferior" assertion on?

DR