[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:22:24 EDT 2009

Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:
> nvidia is the closed-source driver. He was asking for the "open-source" nv,
> which I think has been dropped by Arch, IIRC. xf86-video-nouveau is a
> reversed engineered driver that should provide 2D and 3D capabilities,
> something nv was not able to do.
>
> 2009/4/22 David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
>
>> Nicolas Bigaouette wrote:
>>
>>> If you want KDE to start when you startx, put "startkde" in your .xinitrc.
>>>
>>> As for the nv driver, its not a kernel driver, its an Xorg driver. It's
>>> been
>>> drop since it sucks ****. Instead try nouveau:
>>> pacman -S extra/xf86-video-nouveau
>>>
>> Or perhaps "pacman -S nvidia"
>>
>> DR

	I'm almost there, the nvidia 180.44 driver is working fine. Yea! X starts fine
now, but craters on ~/.xinitrc complaints. See updated Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf at:

http://nirvana.3111skyline.com/download/linux/distributions/archlinux/xorg.conf
http://nirvana.3111skyline.com/download/linux/distributions/archlinux/Xorg.0.log

	So I'm down to just getting ~/.xinitrc straightened out. Ultimately I would
like to get either kdm3 or xdm login configured for runlevel 5, but right now,
I just want to get kde up and running and configured with compiz installed.

	Though I was never much for "eye-candy", I am hooked on compiz. There is no
equal for making multiple desktops and multiple windows really intuitive -- at
least to me. The "expo" (mouse top left) and "scale" (mouse top right) plugins
are great, and the ctrl+alt+shift [<- | ->] for manging windows just click for me.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC