[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

Henning Garus henning.garus at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:55:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Just wondering:  any particular source of information that you're basing
>>> your "unclean and generally inferior" assertion on?
>>
>> I run slim from the daemons array. Never had a problem with it.
>>
>> The only added advantage of using runlevels is that I can chose to
>> boot into runlevel 3 or 4 if I don't want X (assuming it was set to
>> run on runlevel 5).
>>
>> But that's minor to my usage
>
> And if a non-X boot was needed, you could achieve it by just taking slim out
> of the rc.conf daemons list, and just starting /etc/rc.d/slim from the
> command line when/if needed.

There is one real advantage to the inittab method. When your X hangs
on start, due to misconfiguration or whatever, you don't have to boot
from a livecd to remove the daemon from rc.conf, you just have to
change your runlevel. Even though it is something you might never
need, it is good to know that you have this option.