[arch-general] Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Apr 22 22:27:45 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
\> 	OK, I must be suffering from a cranal rectal inversion. I'm missing
something
> basic that must be right in front of my nose.
>
> 	Currently, kdm is running:
>
> [18:22 archangel:/etc/X11/xinit] # ps ax | grep kdm
> <snip - several more kdmflush entries>
>  830 ?        S<     0:00 [kdmflush]
>  833 ?        S<     0:00 [kdmflush]
> 3498 ?        Ss     0:00 /opt/kde/bin/kdm
> 4917 pts/2    R+     0:00 grep kdm

> 	Now startx starts an x session and I get a black background with a white xterm
> in the top left corner of the display (approx 320x200) on my 1680x1050 display.
> The mouse works and I can move into the xterm, but it looks as if something is
> running (no prompt, but the block cursor is busy), and then about 30 seconds
> later, X shuts down normally and I am back at the command line.
>
> 	Another symptom is that when startx is use, there is no KDE, just the xterm
> and black background. When /opt/kde/bin/startkde is used, no xterm appears and
> the following output is received:

Try this:

* kill the kdm instance (if any)
* kill the X instance (if any)

You should now be at a command line.

Instead of starting everything using "startx", use "/etc/rc.d/kdm start".

If that doesn't work, pls post back the xorg log.

DR