[arch-general] libsoup 2.26.0-1 dependencies in [testing]

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Apr 23 11:20:17 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 17:17 +0200, JM wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 22:48 +0200, JM wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I noticed that libsoup in [testing] depends on gconf, is that really
> >> necessary? Libsoup is a dependency for some desktop-agnostic applications
> >> such as Midori (through its dependency on libwebkit) or hardinfo (currently
> >> in AUR).
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> JM
> >
> > This is a temporary bugfix. At this moment the libproxy code in libsoup
> > is unstable, so the libsoup developers decided to disable libproxy and
> > use gconf instead for proxy detection. The changelog states that it's a
> > temporary solution that will be worked out for 2.26.0. With 2.26.1, the
> > dependencies will be the same as we had with the 2.25.x release which
> > was in testing for a while.
> >

> libsoup 2.26.1-1 still carries the dependency on gconf. Has the
> situation changed?
>
> Regards,
> JM

No it hasn't, as this needs to be fixed inside libproxy. Libproxy is not
threadsafe when it calls into gconf, so libsoup calls into GConf itself
to get the proxy information and passes the information to libproxy.
Until libproxy is fixed to do threadsafe calls into GConf, the
dependency on GConf will stay.