[arch-general] Wohoo Compiz Install was a Breeze!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:59:22 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I'm really impressed with Arch! After a little teething to get kde up and
running, it was time to install compiz-fusion. Before the install, I
copied my compiz config from my opensuse install and my emerald themes by
copying ~/.config and ~/.emerald to my home directory in the Arch install.
Then I proceeded with:

pacman -Sy compiz-fusion-kde

	With a little trepidation, I then selected fusion-icon from the system
menu and...

	Compiz-fusion started with all my setting and my emerald theme without a
hicup. Fantastic!! Kudos and Great Job to whoever is building and
maintaining the compiz fusion packages. Now I really have a cool archlinux
desktop! A quick:

ksnapshot 	# desktop saved as archlinux1.png

# pms imagemagick imagemagick-doc
# convert archlinux1.png -resize 800 archlinux1-800.png
# convert archlinux1-800.png archlinux1-800.jpg
# rsync archlinux1-800.jpg nirvana:/srv/www/download/screenshots/archlinux

and you have your screenshot:

http://nirvana.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/archlinux/archlinux1-800.jpg

	Thank you to all who have help me stumble through getting to this point.
All in all, setup has been a breeze on Arch (the fumbling around getting
kde going aside). Looks like a great distro, and so far everything I use
has been available. I haven't gotten to the compilers yet, but I bet they
are all there. I still have a bit of cleanup and loading of packages to
do, but I bet in a few days when you look at www.3111skyline.com, it will
be running on archlinux;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.