[arch-general] Wohoo Compiz Install was a Breeze!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:02:41 EDT 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
>> and you have your screenshot:
>>
>> http://nirvana.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/archlinux/archlinux1-800.jpg
>>

>>     Thank you to all who have help me stumble through getting to this
>> point. All in all, setup has been a breeze on Arch (the fumbling
>> around getting kde going aside). Looks like a great distro, and so far
>> everything I use has been available. I haven't gotten to the compilers
>> yet, but I bet they are all there. I still have a bit of cleanup and
>> www.3111skyline.com, it will be running on archlinux;-)
>>

> Nice!  Cool screenshot too.
>

> Just curious, btw, on a side note:  how'd you hear about Arch and/or
> what attracted you to it?
>
> DR

Well,

	As far a selecting Arch, I went to distro watch, and having already done the
RH-Mandrake, mandrivel (sarcasm implied), the and SuSE/openSuSE thing for
years, I wanted to use a real linux distro again that wasn't now a beta
platform for some mega-corp's commercial offering. (way,way to many problems
are caused by that setup). I lived through the Mandrake meltdown in the 8.0-8.3
days, quality went to shit, so I moved to SuSE 8.0 pro and loved it and all
following releases and continued to use it -- Enter Novell (Oh no -- not again..)

	I still use openSuSE and I am active there, but there is a whole lot of
friction within openSuSE on Novell/openSuSE not fixing bugs in any release
except the absolute latest release despite the earlier releases being no where
near EOL and still supposedly "supported." The corporate takeover quality
plunge never became a problem with openSuSE until (and/or starting) about June
'08 with the 11.0 release.

	Perfect example, a fellow who was building packages accidentally built a whole
slew of kde3 packages against the kde4-runtime base instead of the kde3 base. I
bugged it and the devs admitted the mistake but closed the bug as 'WONTFIX'.
Huh? WTF?? 10.3 isn't EOL until 10/09 and 11.0 isn't EOL until 6/10, why in the
hell leave packages you know are broken -- broken for the next 14 months of the
releases supported lifetime??

	Basically, it wouldn't be fixed because it wouldn't affect the 11.2 release or
flow into SLES or SLED, so the decision was made to simply leave the packages
broken and move on. That irked me a bit. The reality being that openSuSE is now
just a beta for SLES and SLED, not that pure linux distro I first used where it
was all about quality and... "if it was broke, then let's see how we can fix
it." Don't get me wrong, I still think openSuSE is a damn good distro and I
have a whole lot of boxes running it. (All except this new Arch box ~ 14 in all)

	So... continuing the story, I had heard about Arch some time ago as being a
Slackware derivative, and I had always planned on trying it. So from
distrowatch, I went to their top-ten, found slackware, then looked for Arch,
found it, downloaded the .iso, and wound up here;-) So "Hello Arch!"

	I have been using Linux since the Mandrake 7.0 release sometime in? what late
2000. Grown through KDE2 through KDE3, and now am preparing to be pulled
kicking and screaming to KDE4 in the near future, but not quite yet. Once they
take the crayons away from the current gee-whiz developers of kde4 and let the
core kde guys get in there and straighten everything out and get all the core
functionality squared away, I won't hesitate to move up at all.

P.S. Yes, if you ask me what time it is, I'll tell you how to build a watch!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC