[arch-general] Wohoo Compiz Install was a Breeze!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:35:38 EDT 2009

Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 13:17 -0400, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> 	So... continuing the story, I had heard about Arch some time ago as being a
>>> Slackware derivative, and I had always planned on trying it. So from
>>> distrowatch, I went to their top-ten, found slackware, then looked for Arch,
>>> found it, downloaded the .iso, and wound up here;-) So "Hello Arch!"
>> Cool.
>>
>> Just FYI, though:  Arch isn't a slackware derivative.  IIRC, it's
>> actually derived from (or perhaps inspired by Crux Linux).
>
> The only thing inherited from Crux is the PKGBUILD package format. Arch
> has changed so much in the past that our distribution doesn't look like
> any other distribution anymore.

OK,

	I did misspeak. Arch isn't a derivative of Slackware, it was listed as having
a "similar philosophy" as Slackware. Whatever that means. Regardless, I like it!

	It's simple to install, it's relatively easy to configure and to learn the
package management aspects of, it currently boots in 1/2 the time of openSuSE,
it has, from what I can tell so for, a great community, and I can tell this is
going to be a great ride! Now, back to figuring out why my mouse and keyboard
aren't loading anymore in kde...

** One PS: Where did openSuSE shine as a distro? Forget the software, its the
user community on the openSuSE mailing list and the Factory (beta) list. The
group there is a great collection of guys (and a few girls sprinkled in). Most
are holdovers from the SuSE Linux days and are true FOSS advocates that care
about quality. I'll never knock that group, they are great. From what I see
here, the Arch community looks like a great group as well.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC