[arch-general] Question about the license of opera

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Apr 25 03:21:24 EDT 2009

Allan McRae wrote:
> Attila wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i recognized that there is new package in aur for opera with this
>> informations:
>>
>> "This package is the official one from the [extra] repository. We have
>> to move
>> it because of a unclear license issue. After we have clarify this
>> issue the
>> package will be back in the repos or not. It should not be moved to
>> community, because of the license."
>>
>> I'm a little bit surprised that a custom license is such a problem
>> because
>> this shows me 343 entries:
>>
>> find /var/abs -name PKGBUILD | \
>>  xargs grep license | \
>>  grep custom | grep extra | wc -l
>>
>> Will now all packages with custom licenses disappear from extra?
>>

> No.  Only the ones where it is unclear if we can legally distribute it.
>
> Allan

Allan,

	What are the issues surrounding the Opera License?? If I can't help with the
technical side, I can sure help with the legal side. What concerns does Arch
have with the Opera license? What part do you think is "unclear" so as to
justify moving the package?

	With that information, I can look at the license and then see what authority
exists to either substantiate the concerns or provide the information showing
that the concern is unjustified.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC