[arch-general] libnotify as optdepend in thunar?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sat Apr 25 04:20:26 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:59:00 -0700
Andrei Thorp <garoth at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was it a warning or an error? If it was just a warning and thunar did
> the right thing regardless, it sounds like it's a missing optdepends
> as you say. If it actually stopped working or was hindered in some
> way, it's probably a missing depend.
>
> Anyway, you're probably right. Libnotify is frequently an optional
> dependency that adds a nice abstraction layer to notifications. One
> thing that I found nifty is that my window manager/ DE (Awesome WM)
> actually catches libnotify events and displays its own pop-ups.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -AT

Well, it didn't unmount the thumbdrive and gave me the popup that said
that libnotify was missing so I'd say missing depend. But otherwise
thunar worked, and we have a number of packages where part of the
functionality is broken without the optdepends, sometimes worse
than a popup with an error message (segfault).
So I merely guess that it's a runtime dependency in this case and
therefor optdepend.

Regards,
Philipp