[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild with query about gcc-gcj and related packages

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 16:53:12 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild is now in [testing].  Here is a rough
>> ChangeLog:
> Awesome, Thanks
> I will build some things in a chroot, to see how it behaves.
>>
>> glibc:
>>
> One note here, (low priority): in the ".install" post_upgrade() there is
> a line "init u".  If glibc is installed in a chroot and don't have
> sysvinit package, because isn't needed, when glibc is upgrading will
> show a warning about can't execute init, so you can replace this line
> with a "[ -x /sbin/init ] && /sbin/init u" ?
>
> And a question: why still support older kernels from 2.6.16?,
> considering that minimal kernel that udev support is 2.6.22, maybe can
> change the line --enable-kernel=2.6.16 with a superior version >= 2.6.22
>
> >From glibc manual: "This option is currently only useful on GNU/Linux
> systems. The version parameter should have the form X.Y.Z and describes
> the smallest version of the Linux kernel the generated library is
> expected to support. The higher the version number is, the less
> compatibility code is added, and the faster the code gets."

It might be worth bumping this up a bit, although not to the current
kernel version. I think 2.6.22 is a wise choice. If you take a look at
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/kernel-features.h, you can see that moving to
2.6.22 would enable the __ASSUME_PSELECT, __ASSUME_PPOLL,
__ASSUME_ATFCTS, __ASSUME_SET_ROBUST_LIST, __ASSUME_FUTEX_LOCK_PI,
__ASSUME_PRIVATE_FUTEX, and __ASSUME_UTIMENSAT options, which cut down
on some unnecessary glibc workaround code.

If we do bump this, it is a newsworthy item to let users know that our
userspace is only compatible with kernels 2.6.22 and up after this
upgrade- this is important for people running in a Xen context among
other things with a kernel provided by someone else.

Sidenote:
* Bumping to 2.6.23 would add __ASSUME_FALLOCATE
* Bumping to 2.6.24 would add __ASSUME_ADJ_OFFSET_SS_READ
* Bumping to 2.6.27 would add assumes for CLOEXEC, NONBLOCK, PIPE2, and PACCEPT

-Dan