[arch-general] Done! Website move to 1st Archlinux Box

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Apr 25 19:18:52 EDT 2009

Guys,

	Thanks for all of your help. My first Arch install and server config is almost
100% complete (some server apps still remain, but that's just install time)
Archlinux works like a champ. It is a great, lightweight, full featured
distribution.

	In case any other Arch user is looking to do a full apache2 install with SSL,
PHP & MySQL support, the LAMP wiki page will get you going.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LAMP. PHP and MySQL support comes from
nothing more than making sure the module include statements in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf are active as detailed in the LAMP page. The only
trick there is that for some reason the php object module isn't included in the
default httpd.conf file so you need to add the following to the end of the
LoadModule list:

	LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so

	 Secure http (https) support takes a little more. The simple part of SSL
setup, as with PHP and MySQL, is just making sure the shared object module is
loaded in etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

	LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

	Usually the more challenging part of secure http setup is generating the
server keys and certificates that apache will use to offer ssl support. To make
this easier, I have created a script to automate this process and install the
server key, certificate and signing request under /etc/httpd/certs. You can
grab a copy of the script at:

http://archangel.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/apache2/apache-ssl-Arch

(don't panic if it is temporarily not available as I am still moving servers
around and will normally have it back up in 20 minutes or so)

	After download, if you want to generate your server keys automatically
**edit** the script variables:

COUNTRY=US
STATE=Texas
LOCAL=Nacogdoches
ON="Rankin Law Firm, PLLC"
OU=Attorneys
EMAIL=help at 3111skyline.com

	or you will end up with a server certificate that contains my defaults. Once
you make the changes, just run the script as root like:

apache-ssl-Arch <CN>

	where <CN> is just the 'Common Name' (usually your FQDN for your server). If
you omit the CN, you will be prompted.

	If you just want to gen the keys, request and cetrificate manually, you can
always just cut and paste the commands from the script.

	In addition to the script, I also put my httpd.conf and httpd-ssl.conf (both
without comments) on the site if anybody wants to reference them for the
changes required:

http://archangel.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/apache2/httpd.conf
http://archangel.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/apache2/httpd-ssl.conf

	Lastly, I spun up what I think is a cool Archlinux footer image based on one
of the images in /usr/share/arch-artwork/. If you like it -- take it.

http://archangel.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/apache2/ArchFooter-small.png

	That's it, thanks to all for helping me learn Arch! (I guess that should be
'learn enough to get running')

	We all know, the learning is never really done;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC