[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] gcc-4.4.0 toolchain rebuild with query about gcc-gcj and related packages

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 26 05:27:29 EDT 2009

Allan McRae schrieb:
> Hmmm...   I thought about bumping this to 2.6.18 this time round (based
> on nothing better that when good kernel headers became available) but
> decided not to as 2.6.16 is still widely used given it had a backport
> branch open for a long time (and maybe still does?).

2.6.27 will also be maintained for a few years now (no reference, I read
this on lkml in a comment).

I think among the Arch userbase, virtually nobody uses anything older
than 2.6.27. We always announce to be "bleeding-edge", so IMO there
should be no problem in supporting newer kernels only.

> I guess what I think the decision comes down to is:  Are the speed gains
> from this actually noticeable?  I'm skeptical but there are a fair
> number of workarounds removed doing that so maybe they are.

The resulting code will probably be cleaner. I am always in favour of
dropping legacy support.

To everyone reading this: Do you use an exceptionally old kernel (say,
older than 2.6.27) on Arch and why? Or do you know anyone who does?