[arch-general] Wohoo Compiz Install was a Breeze!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 28 14:38:11 EDT 2009

DrCR wrote:
> Awesome, to see you're up an running.
>
> Didn't you have an Error11 when attempting to start X? Maybe that's my
> imagination. If not, how did you fix it? I'm currently having this
> problem myself.
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Listmates,
>>>
>> <snip>
>>> and you have your screenshot:
>>>
>>> http://nirvana.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/archlinux/archlinux1-800.jpg
>>>
>> Oops, sorry,
>>
>>        I see from the logs I forgot to move the screenshots over to the Archlinux
>> server when I switched the router from the suse box to the archlinux box. They
>> are on the webserver now.

DrCR,

	I pretty sure I had the Error11 message when I was struggling through getting
things going (I think I has every error possible while I was making things hard
on myself;-)

	As usual, I did just about everything I could to make it more difficult than
needed. The other DR, AT and everyone else were really helpful in solving the
problems and helping me pull my.. (get straightened out;-). What I should have
done initially to get X/kde up and running was to:

    *Getting KDE Started the 1st Time*

	(1) Install the nvidia driver if you have an nvidia card, if you have an ATI
card, just use the openSource 'radeon' driver.

	(2) If you are using nvidia, then run nvidia-xconfig to create a default
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, if not, do not create an xorg.conf, just let X use its
defaults.

	(3) So that you will have font support in X/KDE, as root, change directories
to /usr/share/fonts and for each font subdirectory there run:

	mkfontscale <dirname>
	mkfontdir -e /usr/share/fonts/encodings/ <dirname>

(Normal font directories include: 100dpi  75dpi  TTF  Type1  URW  artwiz-fonts
 cyrillic  encodings  local  misc  truetype  util) Note: you may not have all
of these.

	You can do it in one shot with this (pasted in the command line):

for in $(ls); do \
mkfontscale $i; \
mkfontdir -e /usr/share/fonts/encodings/ $i; \
done

	(4) Do not worry about creating an initial ~/.xinitrc and if a default
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc exits move that file to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.sav to
let X use its defaults to get you going. (You can come back later and tweak
your ~/.xinitrc and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

	(5) Make sure there are no lingering X or kdm processes running from any
previous attempt to start X or kde:

	ps ax | grep -E X\|kdm

	If you have any processes like:

/opt/kde/bin/kdm
/usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-Z7cAuH

	Kill them before trying to start KDE. (You can ignore the "kdmflush" processes)

	(6) Now it is time to try and start KDE. In my case I was working with KDE3,
so the init script I called was:

/etc/rc.d/kdm3 start

	I don't know exactly what the KDE4 init script is called, but I suspect it
will be something like: /etc/rc.d/kdm or /etc/rc.d/kdm4.

	Now just see what happens and pay attention to any warnings (WW) or errors
(EE) in Xorg.0.log after each attempt to start kde. (You may want to save the
Xorg.0.log if you are changing things in your configuration as there is only 1
copy of the information kept (Xorg.0.log.old) and that is overwritten with each
subsequent attempt to start kde.

	(7) Once you get kde started and the configuration straightened out, then just
add "kdm3" or whatever the init script is for kde4 to the DAEMONS	line in
/etc/rc.conf.

	That's as far as I've gotten. I haven't yet gone back to build out
/etc/xinit/xinitrc and ~/.xinitrc yet to add any customization, its working
fine now. When I get around to 'rat-killing' I'll go back and see if anything
is needed, but right now I'm still just trying to get up to speed on the rest
of Arch.

	Good luck!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.