[arch-general] Wohoo Compiz Install was a Breeze!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:18:44 EDT 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>     (3) So that you will have font support in X/KDE, as root, change
>> directories
>> to /usr/share/fonts and for each font subdirectory there run:
>>
>>     mkfontscale <dirname>
>>     mkfontdir -e /usr/share/fonts/encodings/ <dirname>
>>
>> (Normal font directories include: 100dpi  75dpi  TTF  Type1  URW
>> artwiz-fonts
>>  cyrillic  encodings  local  misc  truetype  util) Note: you may not
>> have all
>> of these.
>>
>>     You can do it in one shot with this (pasted in the command line):
>>
>> for in $(ls); do \
>> mkfontscale $i; \
>> mkfontdir -e /usr/share/fonts/encodings/ $i; \
>> done
>
> Just for the record, I don't think I've ever had to do step 3 on any of
> my Arch boxes.
>
> DR

DR, as usual, "You are correct, sir."

	But after having gone through the steps at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_Font_Configuration, it was just as
easy to "kill two birds with one stone" and include that at step 3 so the font
directories would be properly configured for X-startup. But your right, I
should probably included an (**Optional) notice for step 3 since X will start
anyway without it ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC