[arch-general] Xorg/kdm login screen addition

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:37:41 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I though I would run this idea by the list and see if there was any aversion
to the idea of adding hostname information to the xorg/kdm login display.

	I wouldn't change a thing about the login look, it's awesome. What I would
propose is adding to the existing login greeter the 'hostname' of the machine
it is running on.

	What prompted this suggestion was the situation where I had an archlinux box
connected vi xdmcp to my laptop on tty8. After a day or so of working on my
local box, I switched back over to tty8 and the question immediately came to
mind "Which Archlinux install is this?" because there was no way to immediately
tell. (Don't get me wrong, I only have 2 Arch installs, so the answer wasn't
critical) But the point to be made, and the basis for this suggestion, is that
it would be nice to have the host information available.

	Just a small addition to the dialog, after or under the Archlinux logo, that
says something like "on: host.domain.com". That way, you know at a glance who
you are dealing with.

	Obviously, this is just a minimal enhancement, but the path to perfection is
taken one step at a time.

	Anybody adverse to something like this?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.