[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] news item draft: /dev layout cleanup

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Aug 1 17:06:36 EDT 2009

Allan McRae wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Getting around to this again....
>
> [draft]
> /dev layour cleanup
>
> The /dev layout has been cleaned up to comply to the device names
> specified in the Linux kernel documentation. We had some legacy left
> from our devfs days, which has now been removed.
>
> The most obvious change from a users perspective is the vc/*->tty*
> transition.  The initscripts-2007.08 update requires adjusting the
> /etc/inittab file to refer to tty* instead of vc/*.  Due to severe
> system breakages if this file is not updated, this change will be
> automatically handled by pacman.  The original /etc/inittab file is
> saved as /etc/inittab.pacsave.  To be clear:
>
> package /etc/inittab -> inittab.pacnew (if needed)
> system /etc/inittab -> inittab.pacsave
> system /etc/inittab --sed--> inittab
>
> Make sure to check these files after the update and do any merging
> that is required.
> [/draft]

* If and only if, user touched /etc/securetty (from 'filesystem'), also
must be edit manually it again to match /etc/securetty.pacnew, so I
think that is more safe to add to the announce mail.
* Also note the importance of update all packages 'initscripts'
'filesystem' 'udev' 'syslog-ng' at the same time.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar