[arch-general] xzgv, rtorrent and libtorrent have been orphaned - where can I apply for maintainership ?

Partha Chowdhury kira.laucas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:35:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 10:58:17PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> Partha Chowdhury wrote:
> >i have been using archlinux for about 3 months.I have switched from
> >fedora to arch due to its simplicity.
> >i had reported a bug
> >http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15199?string=xzgv&project=1&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=open&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=
> >when i first started using arch.Recently it has been fixed and i have
> >tested and reported it.
> >
> >However it seems that xzgv package is currently orphaned as this page
> >shows
> >http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/xzgv/
> >so is rtorrent and libtorrent.They have been marked out-of-date for
> >a while now.
> >
> >is another trusted user or developer will be maintaining the packages in
> >the future ?
> >
> >i want to help and i want to maintain the above packages if someone else
> >has not decided already. so where do i apply and how do i start ?
>
> Note that all community packages are orphans at the moment due to
> the backend transition that is ongoing.
>
> I notice that xzgv 0.9.1 is now released.  If you tell me whether
> updated version needs the patch provided in the bug report, I will
> do the update.
>
> Allan

no , xzgv 0.9.1 does not need the patch. it is for xzgv-0.9
release.simply updating the xzgv package will solve it.

About the backend transition - does that mean maintainers of the packages
in the community repo cannot update their packages at the moment or is
there some other problem ?

Should i email the maintainers personally to make a request to update ?