[arch-general] GStreamer packages

Thijs Vermeir thijsvermeir at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:09:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:42:36PM +0200, Thijs Vermeir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:31:05PM +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 18:06 +0200, Thijs Vermeir wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I see that some GStreamer packages have been outdated, attached you
> > > can find the PGKBUILD's with upgraded version and some other
> > > modifications detailed below.
> > >
> > > (Coudn't find if this is already discused)
> > > I also had a question about the gst-plugins-base/good/bad/ugly
> > > packages. I see that they are now split-up in 2 packages
> > > (ex: gstreamer0.10-base and gstreamer0.10-base-plugins). The second
> > > one contains the plugins depending on external libraries and the first
> > > one contains libraries and plugins without external dependencies.
> > >
> > > Typically a user has all gstreamer plugins installed, or at least he
> > > is using some plugins from every package. So I propose that we also
> > > merge these 2 plugins to make it easier to maintain and match
> > > upstream packages.
> > >
> > > Does this sound logic or do I miss something?
> > >
> > > Changes to PKGBUILD:
> > > gstreamer0-10: 0.10.24
> > > - disable tests and examples
> > > gstreamer0.10-base and plugins: 0.10.24
> > > - only LGPL
> > > - bump depends versions
> > > gstreamer0.10-python: 0.10.16
> >
> > First of all, I will change gstreamer to use the split package
> > possibilities that pacman 3.3 gives us.
> > Second, you can't relicense this to LGPL only, the cdparanoia plugin
> > links to cdparanoia, which is GPL. This makes the plugin GPL also.
>
> Apparently the GStreamer community asked [1] to cdparanoia developers to
> change the license to support LGPL, as this is the license used in
> core/base/good. This is from release 10.1 and we are using 10.2, so I
> think it is fine to say now that base is fully LGPL compatible now.
>
> [1] http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2008/08/07/cdparanoia-now-lgpl-v2/

Are you making any progress with the GStreamer packages ? Don't want
to put you under pressure :-) but there are some new upstream packages
that depend on the newer upstream gstreamer versions (like pitivi). Or
is it possible to have the unsplit updated packages like the ones I
send, until the new split packages are ready?

Thanks,
Thijs