[arch-general] Painful installation of 4.3 - some general advice needed.

ludovic coues couesl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 02:51:51 EDT 2009

I'll talk about my machine, with KDE4. I don't know why you get all these
weird stuff.

> 1) the libjepg.7 vs 62 problem - I've exhaustively tried every solution
> over
> the last few hours on the forums and cannot get kmail to work - loads but
> 'poof; up in smoke once the gui appears

My kmail is working without these problems. Haven't get any problem with
libjpeg since I've tried to mix up testing repo and normal repo.

2) Dolphin -  I really liked konqueror - can one still install this as a
> file browser. I note there is a kdebase-konqueror package, using this >
> multiple 'file exists in the filesystem' messages I could use a force but
> god knows what this will trash. Any alternatives.

I'm using konqueror for web browsing, and from times to times as a ftp
browser. konqueror is still working, and can still open folder. But I can't
find out how to tell to KDE that I wanna konqueror as default file browser.

3) Is there anyway to have two tool bars down the bottom like one could in
> KDE3

I've just tried. I believe that it's not possible.
Anyway, you can put most of the thing you would find in a tool bar  on the
desktop. Like the systray, and the task manager. You could simulate a second
tool bar this way.

4) is it is any way possible to import kmail boxes (in one go) into
> thunderbird - mind you I like kmail better!
> 5) Kwrite ? same applies kdebase-kwrite but is it possible to install under
> kde4.3?

Kwrite is working for me. Kate too. For kmail/thunderbird, I don't know.
never try to import anything.

Good luck for the install.