[arch-general] Painful installation of 4.3 - some general advice needed.

Nathan K. Bathory kumyco at kh.nu
Mon Aug 17 10:21:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:10:27 +0200
"Ali H. Caliskan" <ali.h.caliskan at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...says the "sweet talker" who knows what he talks about. Why  don't
> you patch your fracking mount as you patch the PKGBUILDS!
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Thomas Bächler
> <thomas at archlinux.org>wrote:
>
> > Ali H. Caliskan schrieb:
> >
> >> Well, I'm not a Chakra or kde user but I can say that I quite
> >> familiar with
> >> the PKGBUILDS of core and extra packages, and needless to say,
> >> it's not always consistent most of the times. So stop blaming
> >> others and work your ass off when required!
> >>

> > Very polite of you. Let me reply with an equally polite "Shut up,
> > when you don't know what you are talking about".
> >
> > None of the packaging problems mentioned in the original post exist
> > in core/extra, there are no file conflicts when using kde from
> > extra, and there is not a single package in extra (and probably
> > also community)that requires or uses libjpeg.so.62.
> >
> > The only explanation I have is:
> > - chakra installs outdated versions of arch packages in combination
> > with kdemod packages which depend on libjpeg.so.6
> > - chakra installs kdemod, which since extra/kde 4.3 was released
> > don't have proper conflicts= tags, so there will be file conflicts
> > unless you delete the kdemod packages first.
> >
> > All the problems mentioned in this "fresh installation" result from
> > the fact that the system was installed from chakra and has
> > non-official packages on it that induce incompatibilities with the
> > stock package set.

please, please don't disrupt this list with your negativity...
i have personally installed kde 4.3 3 twice.. there are no conflicts as
the packages are, there was a problem from the day before kde 4.3 was
pushed and that apeared to be from kde-unstable packages(4.2.90) which
dissappeared the very next day, this caused files conflicts and the
remedy, as has been stated may be to remove the existing packages prior
to install. You also refuse to help yourself? in your arrogance, a
question was asked which might have lead to you issue being resolved
and you willfully chose to ignore it.