[arch-general] Problems with install Iso

Gerhard Brauer gerhard.brauer at web.de
Wed Aug 19 05:36:31 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 19.08.2009, 19:05 +1000 schrieb richard terry:

> with the /arch/setup program I tried auto to do the whole drive (it was a
> brand new seagate 500gig HDD) > no action, just sat there.
>
> I tried using CFDISK > create partitions > then the setting the mount points
> didn't recognise any partitions were there. After a couple of reboots and
> retries it did recognise the partition was there, but wouldn't let me
> allocate mount points. On one occasion it allowed me to allocated mount
> points but then just died.

First: best way is to open a bugreport
(http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?project=6) so that this isn't lost
in ML threads.

Myself never noticed such during my/our tests. AIF uses the normal tools
for partitioning and making filesystems.

So you could try 2 things:
a) Try using the normal tools to see if there is a problem with 2.6.30
kernel or the tools.
Make (with fdisk or cfdisk) to partitions on the HD.
Format these partitions afterwards (a reboot is not neeeded), for ex:
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
mount these partitions to /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/test
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/test
Would this test work?

b) Start aif in debug mode and give us the log file.
Instead using /arch/setup start it with:
aif -p interactive -d -l
Best to go on with auto prepare. When you got stucked with above errors
you could look at the output on tty7. And please give us the
logfile /var/log/aif/aif.log after you could step further.

> Regards
>
> Richard

Gerhard