[arch-general] nvidia card - fans are really cranked up after the latest driver update a week or so ago

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:03:22 EDT 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 03:34:44 am Xavier wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:28 AM, dick_turpin<dick_turpin at archlinux.us>
wrote:
> > Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >> He didn't ask for "source-code-level" clarification.  He asked if anyone
> >> has similar problems and/or knows a solution. Nvidia forums are a fine
> >> bet to seek that, but I don't see what's wrong with him asking that
> >> here.
> >
> > More importantly the email said it was 'Dual Boot' with openSUSE so I
> > read the post as saying "It works fine under SUSE but runs like crazy
> > under Arch" which is probably why the question is asked here and not at
> > Nvidia.
>
> Well he also said the problem started to happen after a nvidia upgrade.
> Yet we have no information about which nvidia version works fine on
> arch, which nvidia version causes the problem, and which one works
> fine in opensuse.

	Well, I'm sorry I wasn't clearer here. Dieter and Dick nailed the intent of
my post. I was asking here because the fan issue only effects my Arch Linux
install on this box and not the openSuSE install. I know the nvidia driver is
closed source and it is nothing but a black-box to the Linux community in
general. This issue has come and gone once or twice before over the past
couple of years and I primarily wanted confirmation whether anyone else
running Arch had noticed it. I am familiar with the NVidia forums, a
registered member there, and I have filed bugs with NVidia related to the
issue.

	But, as was correctly pointed out, I was looking for two things: (1)
confirmation whether anyone on the Arch list had noticed fan speed increases
on their NNidia cards in the past several weeks and, if so, (2) whether anyone
had found a solution?

	Sorry to confuse the issue. Thank you for your responses and help.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC