[arch-general] Can I downgrade the nvidia driver w/o downgrading the kernel?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 21 20:41:22 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I was going to test the nvidia driver fan issue by downgrading to the next older version of the driver with:

[19:34 archangel:/srv/www] # pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-180.51-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz /var/cache/pacman/pkg/nvidia-utils-180.51-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia: requires kernel26<2.6.30

	But as somewhat expected, I got the dependency error shown above. It may not be possible, but if the nvidia install on arch just compiles the driver against the kernel, then I don't see why not. But then again if it is something that has changed from a module to a part of the kernel during that period of time (or something similar), then I could see why the older driver couldn't be compiled against the new kernel.

	Before trying anything I would regret, I thought I would ask. Is it possible? If so, how? Is "-d" OK here? Worst case, I just end up in runlevel 3 reinstalling the current driver again, right?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC