[arch-general] Stuff in /etc/cron.d/ won' work?

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Tue Aug 25 00:05:52 UTC 2009

Hey there,

I just noticed that I just couldn't get cron to properly execute stuff
in /etc/cron.d/ no matter what I did.
Let's say I have /etc/cron.d/lol with this content:
* * * * * root echo "lol" >> /tmp/omg
and restart crond afterwards, the crond log tells me that cron actually
runs this command every minute without a problem. Sadly, this isn't the
case and the file at /tmp/omg is created but remains without contents.
In contrast, if I put an executable script to /etc/cron.hourly/lol with
the content:
echo "lol" >> /tmp/omg
then the file at /tmp/omg fills up with lots of "lol"s after a couple of
hours.
It also works fine if I put it into the crontab.

Now, I'd like to be able to use /etc/cron.d/ as well because it seems
more transparent to me. Is there anything I do inherently wrong?

-- Sven-Hendrik