[arch-general] Script for finding and "moving" older duplicate packages from /var/cache/pacman/pkg

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 25 14:45:30 UTC 2009

Patrick Brisbin schrieb:
> A while back i wrote a similar script which extracts the .PKGINFO file
> from each package in one's cache. slow, but I think this is a more
> accurate way to compare versions.

We had that discussion on arch-dev-public a while ago. makepkg always
puts .PKGINFO to the beginning of the tarball. Also, tar and bsdtar both
have options to ensure that after the file is found, they stops
extracting - therefore, the .PKGINFO file will be extracted instantly,
independent of package size. Look at the tar or bsdtar manpages,
unfortunately I forgot exactly how it works.