[arch-general] Why doesn't plasma-panel show open apps in 2 rows in arch?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 25 22:14:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 03:00:13 am Fabian Schölzel wrote:
> 2009/8/25 David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
> >        Is there a hidden setting for this, or is it just in the next
> > 4.3.00-xyz package to be released?
>
> I'm at work, but if i remember correctly, theres is a setting for
> allowing it to make rows, and theres a checkbox to force this.
> *searching* Yep, here you go. [1]
>
> Cheers,
> Fabian
>
> [1] http://docs.kde.org/stable/de/kdebase-workspace/plasma/panel.html

Thanks Fabian:

	http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-workspace/plasma/panel.html

	I found the setting and it now works like a champ!

<rant on>

	But, this is just another classic example of what I *hate* about kde4. There
is nothing obvious, intuitive or readily apparent about this and many of the
other multitude of hidden kde4 settings (much less where and how you find
them).

	For a year, in response to many kde3 user complaints about seemingly non-
sensical changes and funky inefficient two-handed keyboard shotcuts, the
standard kde dev answer was "it's this way because kde4 is being changed to be
much easier and intuitive for the new user, especially those coming from
windows." Malarkey! I have heard those weasel word kind of answers before --
("We have the evidence. Iraq has weapons of mass destruction being prepared in
mobile chemical weapons labs, .. blah, blah, blah...") Same type of candor
associated with those statements as well.

	Like I said, I finally got to the taskbar properties, but if you have 5-6
apps open, to get to the settings you have to right-click exactly on the ( 1
pixel ) wide vertical line between two open application icons on the taskbar
to have the menu option available. Seems like it would make a whole lot more
sense just to include taskbar settings as a link in the "Panel Settings" menu.
But no -- that would be too obvious and too easy for new users (or old ones
trying to find the settings).

	KDE4 is full of this kinds of "stuff". Take trying to "Zoom In" after you
have used "Zoom Out" in the cashew menu. Do you think after zooming out there
would be a simple "Zoom In" feature in the plasma menu? Silly you... No, you
have to search through the manuals or pick through the keyboard shortcuts to
find another arcane two-handed key combination to back out what you just did
with the "Zoom In" menu item. When your stuck wondering if you will every get
your desktop back to a readable size, try the intuiting combination ' ALT +
SHIFT + D + "+" '. That excellent, well thought out, new user friendly, user
interface design -- really, I promise -- it's not just some:

"we didn't think it through before hand, forgot to include a "Zoom In"
feature, and had to go down the keyboard shortcut list and just pick a key
combination that wasn't already taken because we were already out of time
thingy-- I promise..."

<rant off>

	OK, I feel better now :-)  I do really like KDE4, but this kind of nonsense
will drive a seasoned user batty and a new user nuts. Any of you kde devs
reading? ... take note.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC