[arch-general] http://archlinux.unixheads.org/$repo/os/testing/ - almost usuable "google-analytics"

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:49:52 UTC 2009

Listmates,

	I have had my updates hand horribly over the past several days. So bad, I
thought there was a bug in pacman. I have even canceled some with ctrl+c out
of frustration.

	I think I just found out why. I was looking to download the i686 lts kernel
so I was browsing the various repositories to see which one had it. I tried to
access packages on archlinux.unixheads.org, and access to the repository did
the same thing -- just hung. The little spinner in firefox was just going
round-and-round. Looking at the site it was accessing, I under stood why:

http://www.google-analytics.com/

	Evidently some of the archlinux repos are using google-analytics to trac web
traffic to the packages and this is killing access to the repository. Here is
a screenshot:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/hung-repo-ann.jpeg

	I'm glad to finally know what the problem is, but it may not be helpful to
Arch to have the repos killed by some configured (or misconfigured) web
traffic analyzer package...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC