[arch-general] Bug in latest vim - have to enter :q an additional time after split

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:06:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM, David C.
Rankin<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Listmates,
>
>        There is a bug in the latest vim. Something prevents split windows from
> completely closing requiring an additional :q to exit. Take for example any
> two text files. I'll use /boot/grub/menu.lst and menu.lst.sav. To confirm the
> bug, do the following:
>
> cd /boot/grub
> vim menu.lst
>  :split menu.lst.sav
> ## you now have both windows open with menu.lst.sav on top [1]
>  :q   (to exit menu.lst.sav, you get --No lines in buffer-- msg) [2]
>  :q   (to exit menu.lst, the syntax highlighting is killed but no exit??) [3]
>  :q   (finally, after 3rd quit, you actuall exit)
>

> Screenshots:
>
> [1] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-1.jpeg
> [2] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-2.jpeg
> [3] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-3.jpeg
>
>        Is this a bug I need to report or does it look like a configuration issue?

This seems like it's a plugin issue. If I had to guess, I'd say it's
minibufexplorer, which I see in the screenshots

Try "vim --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE foo" then repeat the process and
see if it still happens. That's a barebones vim with no config files
or plugins