[arch-general] [SOLVED] Re: Bug in latest vim - have to enter :q an additional time after split

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 26 04:45:28 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 11:29:09 pm David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 August 2009 10:06:10 pm Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM, David C.
> >
> > Rankin<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> > > Listmates,
> > >
> > >        There is a bug in the latest vim. Something prevents split
> > > windows from completely closing requiring an additional :q to exit.
> > > Take for example any two text files. I'll use /boot/grub/menu.lst and
> > > menu.lst.sav. To confirm the bug, do the following:
> > >
> > > cd /boot/grub
> > > vim menu.lst
> > >
> > >  :split menu.lst.sav
> > >
> > > ## you now have both windows open with menu.lst.sav on top [1]
> > >
> > >  :q   (to exit menu.lst.sav, you get --No lines in buffer-- msg) [2]
> > >  :q   (to exit menu.lst, the syntax highlighting is killed but no
> > >  : exit??)
> > >
> > > [3] :q   (finally, after 3rd quit, you actuall exit)
> > >

> > > Screenshots:
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-1.jpeg
> > > [2] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-2.jpeg
> > > [3] http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/vim-3.jpeg
> > >
> > >        Is this a bug I need to report or does it look like a
> > > configuration issue?
> >
> > This seems like it's a plugin issue. If I had to guess, I'd say it's
> > minibufexplorer, which I see in the screenshots
> >
> > Try "vim --noplugin -u NONE -U NONE foo" then repeat the process and
> > see if it still happens. That's a barebones vim with no config files
> > or plugins
>
> Aaron,
>
> 	That was it. Now, how do I find out where the minibufexplorer got slipped
> into the config (and hopefully find out what in the heck it is...) I
>  noticed with this latest release of vim, it is now using the standard
>  vimrc ~/.vimrc files instead of piggy-backing on vi's virc files. I guess
>  whoever packaged it has something stuck in /etc/vimrc:
>
> strange, the only thing active in vimrc is:
>
> " This line should not be removed as it ensures that various options are
> " properly set to work with the Vim-related packages available in Debian.
> runtime! archlinux.vim
>
> So evidently there is something new in runtime! archlinux.vim that is
>  screwing the vim interface up with the minibufferwhatever. Why would we
>  care about the vim-related packages fom Debian as set forth in the note?
>  I'm going to try killing it and see how it goes...

Listmates,

	runtime! archlinux.vim had nothing to do with the problem. It seems that
there is a file dated August 13, 2009 was sneaked onto my box named
minibufexpl.vim in the /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/ and *it* was causing
all the problems.

See: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=159

	That sure seems like something that users should be able to enable, but not
something that is enabled by default. That way it will cut down on the number
of people who have to waste 20 minutes figuring out how to get rid of
something they never wanted in the first place ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC