[arch-general] Howto adjust font scaling in Arch? All fonts look a bit big and fat?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 26 13:22:11 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 10:25:31 am David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 08/25/2009 06:34 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > 	While on this stray tangent -- is there anyway to make kde4 readable
> > over vnc? IIRC, kde4 looks terrible when using vncserver because it is a
> > native 32- bit color app and the vnc session doesn't handle it. Two
> > questions: (1) is this right, if not, then why? and (2) is there any
> > other remote desktop app that will handle kde4 better?
>
> Have you tried nx?
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/nxclient/
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/freenx/
>
> DR

DR,

	Yes, I've tried nx (I'll try it again to see if it solves the KDE4 problem).
The reason that I've "tried it", but don't currently "use" it was that it
offered no better performance than vncserver/vncviewer (poorer in some cases)
and the certificate setup + a lingering bug (at least in the suse package)
made it take longer to set it up on each host.

	Generally, I just use icewm or openbox across remote desktop connections, but
I have a couple of boxes that shouldn't have a problem pushing several full
kde4 sessions at once and that's what prompted the attempt to use kde4 via the
remote connection. I'll give it another go and report back. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC