[arch-general] introducing kernel26-lts

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:46:13 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 12:49:25 pm Xavier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM, David C.
>
> Rankin<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> >        If the nvidia driver is too much of a pain to maintain, the how
> > about the nv driver. That way all you would have to do is modify your
> > xorg.conf and change "nvidia" to "nv" and restart X if you wanted a gui
> > on the lts kernel. Either the radeon or radeonhd drivers would work fine
> > for the other side of the house.
>
> You can already use nv driver (or even vesa), it does not require any
> kernel modules.

Case closed -- we have out answer. Thanks Xavier.

For the nv driver:

	sudo perl -p -i -e 's/"nvidia"/"nv"/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

To go back:

	sudo perl -p -i -e 's/"nv"/"nvidia"/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

	Now where in the arch boot process could I put a script that basically says
if uname -r is the lts kernel switch to nv and vice-versa?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC