[arch-general] server with an encrypted non-root disk

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:31:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 20:21, Roman Kyrylych<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:36, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> Hi, I have a little server at home which has an encrypted disk mounted at /home/media/1tbdisk
>
> I will be assuming you read the wiki:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_Encryption_with_LUKS_for_dm-crypt
> so I just put what my config looks like below.

Oh, forgot to actually write my config

in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:
HOOKS=(... encrypt ...)
(I don't use keymap hook)

You don't actually need encrypt unless your root partition is encrypted too.

in /etc/crypttab:
home		/dev/sda8		<some password>

I guess your crypttab has ASK instead of password
(I can safely put the password here because the root is encrypted,
and am very lazy to unlock every partition during the boot :-P)

in /etc/fstab:
/dev/mapper/home /home ext4 defaults,relatime 0 2

Everything works like a charm

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)