[arch-general] A little weirdness at boot time

Andre Ramaciotti da Silva andre.ramaciotti at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:38:22 UTC 2009

Hi all!

This email is divided in two parts: a curiosity and a problem. They are somewhat
related, so I'm writing both together.

The curiosity:
Since I've installed Arch Linux in this notebook (in March), the time it takes
to load the modules highly varies. With the current archinit scripts, it ranges
from incredible 150ms to incredible 10 000ms. With the older archinit scripts,
the time weren't exactly the same, but it did vary a lot, too.

At first I thought a "cold boot" would take more than a reboot, but both things
are completely unrelated: a cold boot can take only 150ms and a reboot 9 500ms
and vice versa.

I don't see this as a big problem, I'm just curious to know why. If anyone
thinks I should report a bug, tell me what other kind of piece of information
would be useful and I'll do it.

The problem:
Completely unrelated to the question above, the wireless card sometimes works,
sometimes doesn't. It's unrelated because if the boot takes 150ms, the wireless
may or may not work. The same applies if the boot takes 10 000ms. When I say it
doesn't work, I mean that netcfg will fail and print an error:
'eth0: interface doesn't support scanning'

Yes, I know it's weird, but I'm using the broadcom-wl module, and it sets eth0
as the wireless card. My cards:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

and my MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf:
MODULES=(!b43 lib80211_crypt_tkip wl ...)

TIA,
Andre