[arch-general] Single Person ISP?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Dec 1 04:57:25 EST 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009 01:44:06 and regarding:
> So recently Verizon has stopped letting me do free tethering and I've
> been looking for a replacement. Apparently all of the free ISPs I can
> find all require that you use their shitty Windows program to connect,
> so I decided, "I have a phone line, a modem and an internet connection,
> maybe I can make my own ISP".
>
> Basically, I want to take a computer with a dialup modem and an ethernet
> connection to a cable modem and make it so whenever someone calls, the
> computer picks up and acts like an ISP (requests username/password, then
> forwards all requests to the cable modem).
>
> Obviously, it wouldn't be that great (added latency, phone line won't
> work while it's active), but it's at least theoretically possible. I'm
> just wondering if there's software designed to do it.
>
> -Brendan Long

Brendan,

	I have done this for years, but for the past six months the ppp package has
been screwed up and will not pass the ppp session off to the dial in line.
Currently, I have this as my /etc/ppp/options file with the modem on ttyS1 and
the cable connection rounted through eth0:

debug
kdebug 7
crtscts
lock
modem
nodetach
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-max-configure 60
lcp-restart 2
idle 600
noipx
file /etc/ppp/filters
asyncmap  200a0000
proxyarp
login  # Note there is a current dispute whether login will prevent the ppp
       # connection from being established on some systems. Try with and
       # without it and see what you get.
ms-dns 192.168.6.17
ms-wins 192.168.6.17
netmask 255.255.255.0
192.168.6.17:192.168.6.11

The last good working config I had was on a suse 10.3 box. Since then nothing
has worked on suse 11.0 - 11.1 or Arch. I'm still digging into the issue time
permitting.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC