[arch-general] Help - Sound Disappeared -- Really! All modules -> Gone?? (kernel bug?)

Flavio Costa flavio.cdc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:19:46 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 03:26 alchemy:~/dt/kdm/themes> ls -la /lib/modules/2.6.31-
> > ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
> > ls: cannot access /lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-
> > intel.ko: No such file or directory
> >
> > 03:26 alchemy:~/dt/kdm/themes> pacman -Q kernel26 | grep snd-hda-intel
> > You have mail in /var/mail/david
> >

> Maybe you also need to understand what you are doing and what the
> commands mean instead of brainless copy/paste.
>
> if /lib/modules/2.6.31-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko does
> not exist, you need to go all the way up to /lib/modules to see what
> exist, if anything at all.
> You can also just 'find /lib/modules' to display all files in there.
>
> and pacman -Q kernel26 tells you whether kernel26 is installed or not.
> It's probably a good idea to check that too, maybe you removed it ?
>
> You also need to check running kernel (uname -r) matches the one installed.

I was under the impression he was not using a custom kernel (since he didn't
mentioned) that why I didn't bother to check.

> If you want to check which files are inside kernel26 , you have to do :
> pacman -Ql kernel26
>
> pacman -Ql kernel26 | grep snd-hda-intel
> would be much more interesting and meaningful than
> pacman -Q kernel26 | grep snd-hda-intel
> which was just a small typo or overlook of Flavio.

Indeed it was a typo.

I image /lib/modules contains some stuff, otherwise his system would be
totally f***'ed up and prolly wouldn't boot (or just would have no devices
like network cards working at all, which doesn't appear to be the case).

--
Flávio Coutinho da Costa