[arch-general] xf86-input-evdev conflicts with xorg-server. Remove xorg-server?

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Tue Dec 1 13:45:04 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> never mind my bitching.  rebuilding xorg-server without hal was a matter of
>>> abs,edit,makepkg
>>>
>>> <3 arch
>>>
>> Are you using -Syu or are you trying to just randomly -S things?
>> Normally a full upgrade should not have conflicts to this degree.

-Syu

> Unless his system is fairly old and he hasn't updated in a while.
> xorg-server depending on hal happened a fairly long time ago, didn't
> it?

nope. The hal crap has been added to X a while ago as "optional"
(meaning X would just freeze without it, but at least pretend to start)
, but the forced dependency is new (as in, it doesnt start when compiled
with hal, but no hal present).
The difference is that previously you could get get away with a hack in
xorg.conf without having to rebuild xorg without --enable-config-hal

I guess the new way is better, since it seperates the ubuntu aproach
from power user systems in a clean way. If my source is reliable (some
dude on irc),  X.org will continue to support both versions and seperate
them clearly, maybe even with modules.  That'd be _nice_!

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies