[arch-general] packages installed to /usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu and x86_64-unknown-uclibc -- broken??

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 1 17:54:24 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 14:10:20 and regarding:
>>
>>> Those packages are not essential to your system. binutils-uclibc and
>>> cross-arm-elf-binutils are primarily developer tools.
>>>
>> Yes,
>>
>>        I loaded them because there are a couple of apps that I want to try and cross
>> compile. I guess they are fine where they are, but shouldn't the install
>> packages have put them somewhere else?
>
> I don't think so. It's common practice to put cross compilation tools
> in non-standard places, so you don't accidentally end up compiling
> something on your x86 system for an arm processor.

A while back, there was some discussion about cross-compliers and trying
to be more FHS compliant.  The suggestion was to put them in
/usr/lib/cross-<target>.  See:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cross_Compiling_Tools_Package_Guidelines_Proposal

I posted a set of PKGBUILDs for the mingw32 cross compiler.

Allan