[arch-general] Another rant on arch way abuse and false promises

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 18:38:28 EST 2009

2009/12/1 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> When I started on here the mantra was "Arch is what you make it".
> Packagers strive to make packages which are as vanilla as possible
> (without breaking) and provide the utility expected of such packages. Of
> course, if you want a system without hal/dbus, there's ABS and AUR. I
> don't see why your dislike of particular implementations implies that
> every user of Arch should forgo those implementations.

I've been thinking about this particular part of the "Arch way". I
think what causes the conflict in some of these cases is that
"trusting upstream" - one of our major principles - only works when
upstream is sane. Wacky things (like what freedesktop.org has been
doing to Xorg for a while now) make me begin to think this assumption
is violated in some important cases. When upstream ceases to really
care about Arch-like systems and only support more Ubuntu-like
systems, we have a problem with our "don't patch" philosophy.